Creating Jobs, Creating Opportunity: Tackling long-term unemployment in Australia lays out a plan to support people who have been out of work long-term.
The paper found that:
- Even though unemployment is low, long-term unemployment has barely budged
- 15 people across Australia are competing for each entry-level job
- One in ten don’t have recent experience or qualifications, or they have other barriers to work
- These Australians spend around five years looking for work.
- The entry-level jobs they need are disappearing.
- Government strategies ignore these people, focusing on punishment and mutual obligation instead of building long-term skills.