Anglicare Australia says renters are facing a crisis as eviction moratoriums and rent deferrals end. This follows the release of a dramatic survey of Anglicare Australia member agencies.
The survey showed that:
- All agencies have clients who need help because of rental arrears
- 89% of agencies have clients who have been asked to vacate their homes
- 50% of agencies say their clients are turning to payday lenders to cover their debts
- 44% of agencies say their clients are turning to housing and homelessness services for help
- clients are carrying debts ranging from $500 to $20,000.