Australians overwhelmingly back a basic income for Australia. That is the key finding of a landmark new study from Anglicare Australia.
The Valuing Every Contribution study surveyed 1,000 Australians. It found that:
- Three in four Australians (77%) think all Australians should receive an income above the poverty line
- Two in five (38%) would use a permanent basic income to secure their finances
- One in four (22%) would spend more time volunteering
- One in four (22%) would spend time caring
- One in five (20%) would improve their skills and education
- One in ten (12%) would reduce their paid work hours.