Data from Anglicare Australia shows that essential workers across Australia are struggling to pay the rent:
- 1087 rentals (2.4%) were affordable for an ambulance worker
- 666 rentals (1.5%) were affordable for a nurse
- 582 rentals (1.3%) were affordable for a construction worker
- 507 rentals (1.1%) were affordable for an aged care worker
- 428 rentals (0.9%) were affordable for an early childhood educator
- 424 rentals (0.9%) were affordable for a hospitality worker.
Many essential industries are facing workforce shortages with workers unable to afford to stay or move to parts of the country where these shortages are at their worst. These numbers help explain why.
Use the map below to find out how affordable rentals are for different essential workers in your area.